Hello everyone! Ready for some Instagram post ideas for the end of the year?
Here are 14 fun ideas that you can use for your personal or business account.
You can use these ideas to create:
- A normal photo post, or
- A video post, or
- A carousel post , or
- An Instagram Reel video
Play around with the ideas and make them fit to your own personality or brand personality.
For example, if an idea sounds too serious, you can turn it into a fun/weird post to fit your style.
As always: just have fun with it!
Let’s get straight into it.
Post idea #1. Favorite memories of the year
Look at your camera roll and pick some of your favorite photos and/or videos.
You can then create a photo collage, a carousel post, a video slideshow or a Reel video.
You can post about:
- Photos from an event
- Favorite spring / summer / fall / winter photos
- Favorite photos with friends / family / pets
Example: @matildadjerf shared some of her favorite summer photos in a carousel post.
Post idea #2. Share what you’ve learned this year
The second Instagram post idea for the end of the year is to share with your followers what you’ve learned this year.
You can share:
- One main lesson, or
- Make a list of things you’ve learned this year
If you have a personal Instagram account, you can ask yourself these questions:
- What are some things I’ve learned about myself this year?
- What have I discovered?
- How did I improve?
- What am I glad I changed?
- Note to Self: What do you want to remember and share with my community?
If you have a business , ask yourself;
- What are my top business lessons of the year?
- What did I do to improve my workflow?
- What is one of the best decisions I’ve made?
- What is one thing I wish I had known earlier?
Post idea #3. Before and after
Before and after posts catch people’s attention on the Explore page.
The best is to do a side-by-side photo collage, like @rianne.meijer (PS: her Instagram versus Reality posts are gold):
Alternatively, you can do a carousel post.
You can post the After first, and the Before second. Or vice-versa.
What before and after can you show?
You can do any before and after you can think of.
You can make it fun, weird, serious, inspiring or motivational.
It really depends on what your account is about and your personality.
Don’t have any ideas?
Let’s have a look at some examples.
If you have a personal account, you can share:
- Your first photo of the year, versus the last one you took in your camera roll
- Your first selfie or the year versus your last selfie
- If you love fitness, you can share your transformation
- If you got a puppy, you can share their transformation growing up
- Before quarantine versus during quarantine
- Before introducing a new change in your life, and after
- If you were pregnant at the beginning of the year, you can do a before and after (before: with your bump, after with your baby in your arms)
- A screenshot of your Instagram feed at the beginning of the year versus now
If you have a business account, you can share:
- Your evolution
- A transformation
- Your analytics / results / growth
- A before and after using your product / service
- A before and after implementing a new strategy
Post idea #4. How it started versus how it’s going
This is one of the latest Instagram trends
If you want to join, make sure you’re using the hashtag #howitstartedvshowitsgoing.
All you have to do is share a photo from the beginning versus the end of the year.
Share with your followers what has changed between the first photo and the second photo. It can about your physical transformation, your personal growth or your business growth.
Post idea #5. Give a shoutout to someone who has played a big role in your life this year
Has someone helped you this year?
It can be someone who has been here for you during tough times.
Someone who helped you grow.
Someone who kept in touch during lockdown.
Someone who makes you smile.
It can be a friend, a family member, your partner or even your pet.
If you have a business , you can give a shoutout to:
- A biz partner
- Your clients
- Your customers
- Your colleagues
- Your students
- @mandacarpenter gives a beautiful shout out to her best friend, and
- @wordfetti gives a shout out to each of her students taking their business to the next level
Post idea #6. An accomplishment
What is something you’re glad you did this year?
It can be something like sticking to a new routine, slowing down, learning how to cook, growing your Instagram account, reading a book.
- What is one thing I am proud of that I have accomplished this year?
- What is one goal I have accomplished this year?
- What have I learned by accomplishing this goal?
- What big decision did I make this year? And why?
@emmasedition shared how she made the decision to become a full-time content creator after 6 years in the aerospace industry.
Post idea #7. What you’re grateful for
This year has been intense for a lot of us. So why not take the time to slow down and list some of the things you’re grateful for?
Here are 2 post ideas:
- A 2020 Gratitude Letter, or
- List 5 things you’ve been grateful for this year
If you have a business , you can post about:
- Instagram accounts you’re grateful to have followed
- Clients you’re grateful for
- Business partners you’re grateful for, or
- Online tools you’re grateful for
Here are some examples:
Post idea #8. 2020 Mood
Choose photos that represent each month of the year, and create a video slideshow.
You can make it serious or you can have fun with it, like @coconutricebear did:
Post idea #9. Repost one of your Top Posts
This is for you if you don’t want to create a new post!
You can repost some of the best posts you’ve posted this year.
You can check your Best Posts and repost them using your Preview App .
You can do it on your phone, like this:
Or you can do it on Preview Desktop version in one click, like this:
Post idea #10. Favorites of the year
Another fun post idea is to share your favorites of the year.
You can create a bunch of different posts with this idea.
For example, you can post about things like:
- Your Favorite Instagrammer(s) of the year
- Your Favorite foods of the year
- Your Favorite activities of the year
- Your Favorite outfits of the year
- Your Favorite products of the year
- Your Favorite apps *wink wink* – hi, hello! @preview.app if you want to tag us so we can re-share your post!
You can even create a hashtag so that people can view your other Favorites posts.
- #favoritesof2020, or
- #favoritesoftheyear, or
- #alex2020favorites (your name + 2020favorites)
- @teresalaucar creates awesome favorites collage and Reels videos
Post idea #11. Best sellers
If you have a business, you can share your best selling products.
Here are some post ideas to show your best selling products:
- Create a flatlay with all of the products in one photo
- Create a carousel post (one product per slide)
- Create a Reels video and create what I call a Product Fashion Show (check idea #18 in this blog post: Instagram Reel ideas for Business )
Post idea #12. Envision your next year
Instead of talking about the past, you can envision your future.
How do I want next year to be?
- Share with your followers what you hope next year will be like
- What vision you have for 2021
- What ideas you have
- What you would like to accomplish
- A sneak peek of what you’ll be working on
- A list of things you want to focus on next year (in life or business or both)
Post idea #13. Share your vision board
Another idea is to create a vision board .
What do I want 2021 to look like?
Find photos or quotes that will inspire and motivate you, or photos of things that you want to accomplish or own. Bring them all together to create your own vision board.
There are 4 ways you can show your vision board:
- Make a photo collage, or
- Take a photo of your vision board in your room, or
- Create a carousel post where each slide is one of your goals in your vision, or
- Create a Reel video (for example: you can record a video of you creating your vision board, or you can show a sneak peek of your vision board in your room)
Post idea #14. Emoji game
And one of my favorite Instagram post ideas for the end of the year is to play the emoji game!
Let’s be honest: it’s the end of the year. We all just want to chill and have fun.
This post idea has become a tradition on our Instagram account. We play this game every December. Come join us this year!
How does it work?
Just write in your caption:
If you could describe your 2020 using emojis only, which one would you choose? Mine would be: _____.
Describe your 2020 using emojis only.
Caption ideas for the end of the year
You can find more caption prompts and post ideas in your Preview App , so that you can find captions as you prepare your post.
Check out these caption categories in your Preview App:
- End of the year
- End of Year (Questions): fun questions you can ask your followers to start a genuine conversation in your comment section
- End of the year (Quotes)
- New Year
- New Year (Quotes)
- Get Comments: fun questions you can ask your followers to boost your engagement, and some games you can play with them (like the emoji game I shared before).
And if it’s winter where you are, you can use the Winter captions.
If it’s summer, you can use the Summer captions.
This way you can mix things up and write fun captions for the end of the year.
If you’re new here, you might be wondering: Where are these captions?
They are inside your Preview App (on your phone and on the Desktop version).
On your phone, they are here:
And on the computer, they are here:
Did you like these post ideas?
Let me know in the comments below if you enjoyed this post!
And if you have a business and you don’t know what to post specifically for your account, just let me know what your business is about in the comments below and we can brainstorm together.
And until next time, I hope to see you on Instagram!
Have an amazing end of the year everyone.
Other posts you might like:
- Instagram post ideas for business
- Instagram Reels ideas for business
- Post ideas for personal accounts