A Kenyan passport is a travel document required by citizens, for international travel. There are three types of passports in Kenya.
- The diplomatic passport – Issued to citizens who are travelling abroad on diplomatic missions, and to Kenyan diplomats and their dependents.
- The ordinary passport – Issued to Kenyan citizens.
- The East African passport – Kenyan citizens can use this passport to travel to Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, and Burundi.
How to Apply for a Kenyan Passport as a Citizen
Since May 2015, application, renewal, or replacement of Kenyan passports starts on an online portal. Kenyan passport requirements during the online application process include the serial number of your birth certificate, the names, and addresses of two next of kin.
The application process is simple.
- Register on eCitizen. An eCitizen account gives you access to important government offices like the immigration department, the lands ministry and the National Transport and Safety Authority. To register on this portal, enter your national ID number and your first name. Next, enter your email address, your phone number and upload a passport size photo. An account activation email will be sent to your email. Click on the link in your account activation email, or copy and paste the long url within that email to access the eCitizen dashboard.
- On the dashboard, click on ‘Get Services Now’ on the Department of Immigration Services block. Other blocks on the dashboard are the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, Civil Registration Department and the Office of The Attorney General and Department of Justice.
- Click on ‘Make Application’, then select KENYAN PASSPORT, and select either the adult’s application form or the children application form. Alternatively, click on the specific application link on the right sidebar.
- Read the requirements, and instructions, then fill the application form.
- Select the payment method, such as Mpesa, credit or debit card. A 32-pages ordinary passport costs Kshs. 4,550 while a 48-page passport costs Kshs. 6,050.
- Print the completed application form, and the payment invoice.
- Find a recommender to get his/her signature and a certified copy of his/her ID. A recommender can be a Kenyan legal, religious, or medical practitioner or a recognized civil servant. A recommender should not be a family member.
- Submit your application at Nyayo House. You will need your application form, two copies of your payment invoice, your national ID plus a copy, your birth certificate plus a copy, a copy of your recommender’s ID, three passport size pictures, and copies of your parent’s national IDs. If your parents are deceased, you need copies of their death certificates.
A Kenyan passport takes anywhere between 7 and 14 working days.
VISA FREE COUNTRIES WITH KENYAN PASSPORT
Once you have obatained your Kenyan passport, you can enjoy your globe trotting experience to 39 countries without applying for a visa and to 29 countries where you obtain a visa upon arrival.
|Lesotho||Visa not required||Africa|
|Malawi||Visa not required||Africa|
|Mauritius||Visa not required||Africa|
|Namibia||Visa not required||Africa|
|Rwanda||Visa not required||Africa|
|Senegal||Visa not required||Africa|
|Swaziland||Visa not required||Africa|
|Tanzania||Visa not required||Africa|
|Uganda||Visa not required||Africa|
|Zambia||Visa not required||Africa|
|Zimbabwe||Visa not required||Africa|
|Benin||Visa not required||Africa|
|Botswana||Visa not required||Africa|
|Burundi||Visa not required||Africa|
|Ethiopia||Visa not required||Africa|
|Ghana||Visa not required||Africa|
|Gambia||Visa not required||Africa (must obtain an entry clearance from the Gambian Immigration prior to travel)|
|Malaysia||Visa not required||Asia|
|Philippines||Visa not required||Asia|
|Singapore||Visa not required||Asia|
|Indonesia||Visa not required||Asia|
|Bahamas||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Barbados||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Dominica||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Grenada||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Haiti||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Antigua and Barbuda||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Jamaica||Visa not required||Caribbean|
|Panama||Visa not required||Central America|
|Micronesia||Visa not required||Oceania|
|Vanuatu||Visa not required||Oceania|
|Fiji||Visa not required||Oceania|
|Kiribati||Visa not required||Oceania|
Honor 20 Pro scores 111 points on DxOMark
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.The Honor 20 Pro scored 111 points in the Photo department, while...
Nokia CEO sees possible benefits from Huawei tensions
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.Nokia Chief Executive Rajeev Suri said on Tuesday the company could benefit...
Huawei launches new Honor phones, doesn’t mention Android
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.Huawei, the world’s second-biggest phone maker, runs its devices on Google’s Android...
Adobe’s Premiere Rush Video Editor is Now on Android
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.The cross-platform video editing app that Adobe first announced and released last...
Huawei releases official statement regarding Android License revocation
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.Following Huawei’s placement of the U.S. Entity List which prohibits U.S. companies...