Hello Instagrammers and business owners! Need help with your Instagram hashtag strategy?
Let’s get straight into it.
This is going to be mostly an Instagram Hashtag Strategy for businesses , because so many of you email us every day asking for hashtag help.
If you don’t have a business, look at these Instagram hashtags tips .
Now back to business.
We all have different businesses and brands.
And we can all use the same, core Instagram hashtag strategy .
Whether you are a tour guide, jewelry designer, restaurant owner, hair stylist, nail artist, realtor, social media manager, clothing brand or even a blogger, you just need 2 things:
- The Instagram Hashtag Formula below, and
- The Hashtag Finder in Preview App (= researched, hand-picked and manually created hashtag groups for different brands, businesses and communities)
The Formula and the Hashtag Finder work:
As you’ll see in the Formula, there are 4 types of Instagram hashtags businesses can use.
Hashtags are a very personal thing.
Some of you might realise you can use all 4 types of hashtags.
And some of you might be totally fine using 1 or 2 types of hashtags.
There’s no right or wrong.
Use the hashtags that make sense for your business.
You can use up to 30 hashtags .
The Hashtag Finder in Preview App already has a mix of small, medium, large, community hashtags , as well as hashtags that can get you featured on other people’s account. So you don’t need to worry about the size of the hashtags. We’ve done the work for you.
Let’s use an example to see how to use Instagram hashtags for a business:
My business is home organizing. I live in New York.
Here are the 4 types of Instagram hashtags you can use:
1. Your industry hashtags
The first type of Instagram hashtags you want to use are hashtags that directly describe your business, specialty, product, service or offer.
What is your business about?
Use hashtags that are the exact word(s) that describes what you do / sell.
- Home organization business = Home + Home Organization hashtags.
- So I would type Home in Preview App to see all the recommended Home hashtags. Pick and choose the hashtags that fit the best with your business.
2. Your ideal customers’ hashtags
Who are your ideal customers?
Use hashtags your ideal customers are using.
This way, your posts – and therefore your products – will appear in front of their eyes.
When you use the hashtags they use, you are becoming part of their community.
It’s a great way to connect with like-minded people. People who actually care about what you share.
- Home organization business = ideal customers could be moms.
- Type Mom in Preview App to see all the recommended Mom hashtags.
3. Your location hashtags
Use location hashtags if you have a local business .
Important for: hair stylists, nail salons, restaurants, and any physical store.
- Home organization business in New York = use New York hashtags.
- Type New York in Preview App .
4. Hashtag Combinations
Create your own hashtag combination if it makes sense for your business.
When you create your own hashtag combination, you are creating a more specific, niche hashtag.
This means that you can be found by people who are searching for something specific.
Here are 3 examples of hashtag combinations:
- Your location + your industry/specialty (Example: #londonrestaurant)
- Your location + your ideal customer (Example: #newyorkmoms)
- Your product + an adjective that describes it (Examples: #goldearrings, #naturalcandles)
You can combine other way around too:
- Your industry/specialty + location
- Your ideals customers + location
- My business is Home organizing and I’m based in New York.
- My ideal clients are moms.
Here are 2 awesome hashtag combinations you can use / create:
Check on Instagram if your hashtag combinations already exist.
#newyorkmom – WOW. Look! Your ideal clients are right here:
Pro Tip #2:
You can go ahead and like and comment on some of the posts of your ideal clients/customers. Don’t be spammy. Don’t be creepy. Just be genuine.
That’s it! Your turn to create your Instagram Hashtag Strategy!
Now you know how to use Instagram hashtags to promote your business.
Here’s a quick recap of the hashtags you need for your Instagram Hashtag Strategy:
- Industry Hashtags
- Hashtags your ideal client / customer uses
- Location Hashtags
- Hashtag Combinations
Your turn to try it!
Let me know in the comments below if this blog post was useful.
And if you’re new: Click here to download Preview.